When we gain weight, we see the effects of a sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy diet on different parts of our body. Our face, thighs, abdomen and arms are most affected. Although running, cycling, and swimming are good weight loss exercises, some prefer those that target specific parts of the body. For example, some people look for exercises to reduce arm fat and tone their arms. Arm circles are an arm exercise that has caught the attention of many. But do the benefits of arm circles include fat reduction and toning of the arms?
Do arm circles help make arms bigger?
Arm circles are a simple warm-up that involves moving your arms in a circular motion, says fitness expert Aminder Singh of Team Aminder. Doing arm circles can help tone your arms, but adding other workouts, including strength exercises, is a more effective way to get rid of flabby arms.
Arm circles have other benefits as well. Let’s check them out!
1. Arm circles work the shoulders and upper body
The shoulders and upper body can benefit greatly from arm circles. They first act as a powerful warm-up, gradually raising your heart rate and increasing blood flow to the targeted shoulder region. Your muscles are initially warmed up to be ready for more intense exercise.
2. Arm circles can reduce the risk of muscle damage
Arm circles help increase blood flow around the shoulder joint, which is essential for nourishing the muscles, tendons and ligaments with oxygen and nutrients. Additionally, by helping with the elimination of metabolic waste, this increase in blood flow reduces the risk of muscle damage and fatigue, explains the expert.
3. Arm circles reduce the risk of pain during shoulder activities
The shoulder joints, tendons and ligaments are helped to lubricate by performing arm circles with a controlled range of motion. By improving joint mobility and flexibility, this lubrication reduces the risk of pain or injury during shoulder activities.
4. Arm Circles Help Improve Posture
By using the posterior shoulder muscles, arm circles help improve posture, Singh tells Health Shots. Strengthening these muscles helps promote upright posture by helping to prevent the propensity to lean forward. This postural adjustment relieves pressure on the neck and upper back.
How to do arm circles
To ensure you’re doing arm circles correctly, follow these steps:
• Start by assuming an upright position and place your feet shoulder-width apart.
• Lift one arm towards you while maintaining straightness at shoulder level.
• From here, gently shrug your shoulder up to begin the circular motion.
• Continue to rotate the arm in the appropriate direction.
Everyone has a different tolerance for range of motion. While some people can fully rotate their arms, others may only feel confident performing partial rotations. Just be careful not to exercise more than you feel comfortable with to avoid damage.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Doing Arm Circles
Arm circles seem easy, but people make mistakes. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
• It is important to maintain a neutral spine throughout the workout.
• Avoid putting too much weight or momentum when making arm circles.
• Take your time with the exercise. When arm circles are performed too quickly, form can be compromised, which can even lead to injury.
• Make sure the size of your arm circles is appropriate. Your shoulder joints can be injured if you extend your range of motion too much
Arm circles are simple but powerful movements. So, add arm circles to your fitness routine to reap its benefits.