When it comes to weight loss, it is often said that it is the result of 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. Although limited portions and strict diets form the basis of your weight loss routine, the oil you use to cook your food is another important aspect to consider. Using the right oil can often help improve weight loss and achieve your fitness goals faster. Although desi ghee and olive oil are great options for weight loss, it’s often difficult to know which one to choose.
How does desi ghee work for weight loss?
Garima Goyal, a dietitian, says many weight loss experts suggest consuming desi ghee, instead of any type of refined oil, if you want to lose weight. Here are the benefits of desi ghee for weight loss:
- High satiety value: Since desi ghee is densely fat-rich and high in calories, consuming it helps you feel fuller for a longer period of time, which helps in reducing overall calorie consumption and hence helping you lose weight.
- Improved digestion: It is rightly said that a healthy gut resides in a healthy body and if you want to lose weight, your gut must be healthy as it will improve the absorption of nutrients. Consumption of desi ghee improves the digestion of the body and helps in weight loss. Ghee contains a short-chain amino acid, namely butyrate, which is known for its intestinal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Healthy fats: Desi ghee contains healthy components of fats such as omega 3 fatty acids and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid). Both improve fat metabolism in the body and aid in fat loss.
- Richness in fat-soluble vitamins: Apart from providing healthy fats, desi ghee also carries fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E and K. Also Read: Learn How to Make Ghee at Home.
How does olive oil work for weight loss?
Olive oil is also one of the most popular oils when you want to start a healthy diet.
- Richness in monounsaturated fats (MUFA): Olive oil is an excellent source of MUFA which provides a feeling of fullness and helps delay the feeling of hunger, thus contributing to weight loss. The MUFAs in this oil influence hunger hormone levels in the body and suppress appetite.
- Anti-inflammatory effect: Olive oil is known to have certain anti-inflammatory components that help in weight loss. Indeed, chronic inflammation is linked to weight gain.
- Healthy heart: This oil is known for its role in promoting heart health, being rich in monounsaturated fats, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. These components have a cholesterol-lowering effect and also help reduce high blood pressure.
- Chronic disease prevention: Olive oil is a rich source of antioxidants such as vitamin E and phenolic compounds that protect cells from oxidative damage and reduce the risk of cancer.
Ghee vs olive oil: which one allows faster weight loss?
There is no one-size-fits-all plan when it comes to weight loss. Goyal explains, “Mixing desi ghee and olive oil is a great idea when it comes to weight loss, but in moderation, as both are high in calories and will affect your overall calorie intake. »
Health Shots recommends: 5 Best Ghee Brands to Improve Taste and Health
Can desi ghee and olive oil be used together?
Combining the two oils could create a balance of flavors and nutritional benefits, says Goyal. But keep in mind a few things such as:
- Mixing oils means you’ll need to manage your total calorie intake effectively. Both ghee and olive oil are high in calories, so portion control is crucial for weight loss.
- Make sure you always eat a well-balanced diet that includes a variety of foods from different food groups. Adding blended oils should complement your overall diet and not replace other essential nutrients.
- Be careful how much you use. You can use a mixture of the two oils in cooking or as a salad dressing, but keep an eye on the total amount to avoid excess calories.
How much is too much?
Moderation is key. Whether you choose desi ghee or olive oil, both are fats and one gram of each provides 9 kcal. It is therefore crucial to carefully consume these sources of fat to avoid excessive calorie consumption. “The amount of desi ghee oil you can consume depends on the calories you need, based on your age. Gender and physical activity also make a difference. But generally 2-3 teaspoons is enough because you also get fat from hidden sources,” says Goyal.
Select the topics that interest you and let us personalize your feed.